In a tense moment, Brett Kavanaugh pretends to be asleep when asked a particularly uncomfortable question during his hearing.
Image source: Washington Post
This Thursday, the entire nation turned its attention to the Senate confirmation hearings of Brett Kavanaugh, a judge nominated by president Donald Trump to fill the US Supreme Court vacancy. Thursday hearings have been especially dramatic, because of a very emotional testimony by psychology professor Christina Blasey Ford, who has accused Kavanaugh of trying to rape her at a house party 36 years ago, when she was 15 and he was 17. Ford’s testimony was followed by an even more emotional Kavanaugh’s testimony denying all accusations. Many Democrats insist that we must believe Ford because we must believe all women, while many Republicans insist we must believe Kavanaugh, because we must believe all Republicans. Here are 10 more reactions to the Kavanaugh hearings.
1) Brett Kavanaugh, Supreme Court nominee: “My good name has been attacked, but your slander will never stop me, your accusation will not stop me. I will never quit! I will sit on that Supreme Court bench, even if I have smash a window to get into the court building!”
2) Christina Blasey Ford: “The last two weeks have been the worst two weeks of my life. In these two weeks, my name has been dragged through the mud, I’ve received death threats, I’ve been slut-shamed, my family has been attacked by the media… My only regret is that I hadn’t reported the assault right away, so that my family could have been enduring all that abuse for the last 36 years instead.”
3) Cory Booker, Democratic Senator: “We need to know the truth: if Brett Kavanaugh it just as honest, ethical, and opposed to sexual assaults as he says he is, he should not be confirmed because he would make the rest of Trump administration look really bad.”
4) Vice President Mike Pence: “People mock me for refusing to meet with women one-on-one. But this disgrace of a hearing is the reason why I do what I do, because I do not want to become a target of vile accusation like Judge Kavanaugh. God knows, I would never sexually assault a woman, unless it’s in the presence of my wife.”
5) Jeff Flake, Republican Senator: “This whole situation makes me sick. I voted to confirm Judge Kavanaugh in the Judicial Committee, but only on the condition that the FBI conducts an investigation into the accusations. The FBI investigation has to be very brief, and its scope should be limited to only finding evidence exonerating Judge Kavanaugh.”
6) Ashley Kavanaugh, Brett Kavanaugh’s wife: “All these people are making all these claims that Brett has been assaulting women all his life, in high school, in middle school, practically ever since he had been born. All this is an absolute lie! In fact, Brett says he had not even been born until many years after high school, and I believe him!”
7) Average Republican Kavanaugh supporter: “Come on, this was a long time ago, he was just a boy, you know, boys will be boys, hmm? Give him a mulligan just this once. I mean, it wasn’t like he tried to rape my 15-year-old daughter! Cause, you know, if she ever told me that some 17-year-old hoodlum tried to pull something like that, I’d get my nearest AR-15 and blast his damn head off.”
8) Mitch McConnell, Republican Senate Majority Leader: “Excellent testimony by Brett Kavanaugh. He has destroyed Ford’s testimony by presenting all these easily verifiable facts that we must never allow to be verified.”
9) Donald Trump: “I think this woman was a very credible witness. Very, very nice testimony. Very believable. Must confirm Kavanaugh right away! She proved Brett had been very tough on women and has what it takes to be a tremendous judge who will conduct Republican policies in a very non-partisan manner!! CONFIRM NOW!!! Also, NO COLLUSION!!!”
10) Merrick Garland, Barack Obama’s last Supreme Court nominee: “Well, at least he’s getting a hearing…”